Growing good mental health in our community is a similar analogy to growing a tree. Where there’s a Will has planted the seed.
PERMA +H, the trunk, is at the core of Where there’s a Will and provides direction for its growth.
Professor Martin Seligman, one of the world's leading researchers in positive psychology and human flourishing, suggests that wellbing is tended by the presence on our lives of positive emotion, engagement, relationships, meaning and accomplishment. This framework is often referred to as 'PERMA'. Martin Seligman believes that these five elements can help people reach a life of fulfillment, happiness, and meaning and ultimately flourishing.
Other researchers, believe that the tending of your health by eating well, moving regularly an sleeping deeply is one of the health factors of wellbing. Everything gets easier when this is present.
So, in this tool we've added Health to Professor Seligmans Framework, making it PERMAH
PERMAH provides a framework for specific and actionale ways that you can build your wellbeing.
- Positive emotions – feeling good by adding and noticing the positive around us.
- Engagement – being completely absorbed in activities that interest and consume us.
- Relationships – being authentically connected to others.
- Meaning – having a purposeful existence, givng back
- Accomplishment - pride from a sense of accomplishment and success
- Health - eating well, moving regularly and sleeping well